Friday, May 12, 2006


As my grandmother's illness progressed, her uncanny sense of humor understandably began to wither. one morning after a night spent with delirium, she said she felt like something was biting her. upon investigation, we discovered that she had allowed her lower dentures to escape and they had lodged themselves firmly into her backside. this was to be the last time she ever laughed.
i am honored to have inherited those teeth now, smiling upon me from inside a small, appropriately sized glass jar, placed with hope where i can see them many times a day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

having 'beaten' the cancer that had been eating him, my dad was hit by a series of strokes. before his lungs filled with liquid and before the nurses ushered me out of the room, infact the day before his death, my dad lay naked under sheets. my mother, ever the well bred salvationist was alarmed to note that my father kept tugging on his willy.

'ralph, darling, you mustn't do that it is dirty'.

i would have loved for him to have said 'maybe, but its the only fun i get in this bloody place'

he didn't but it would have been typical of him.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovley inheritance, May she Laugh on in golden raptures, In the twilight of all forevers...

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home