Monday, April 10, 2006


my grandmother was a stunning woman with long natural nails and wavy black hair. she drove a cadillac-fast, swore and smoked and had blood red carpets that i played upon as a child. i convinced myself that the pool in her apartment complex held sharks that would appear if the shadow of the building crossed the water. she once spanked me for spilling jello on her white pant suit. she was attacked by locusts on a deserted road in texas. she could make me laugh like no other and loved me unfailingly. she was a rosie riveter in the shipyards during the war. she painted delicate & gentle birds on canvas.
now there are vultures sitting on fences outside her humble house and her hands are growing listless, feet swelling blue, kidneys failing, lungs filling with unfriendly fluids, cancer voraciously eating.
and it is never ever fair that the ones who gave what little they had should be deserted by their own lives.

5 Comments:

Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

i have faced death twice and it holds no fears for me. what does scare me, more for those who remain, is the slow and undignified way we some times die. my dad was like that and for me, and obviously for you and your family this must be awful. all thoughts are with you.
x

2:00 AM  
Blogger Sculpt Me said...

I'm sorry for your pain.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

This is one of the best pieces of prose I've read about a horrible reality of life. Last line is stunning!!

9:13 AM  
Blogger shooting star said...

this must be awful for u .....it hurts so much to see our loved ones in that state.

2:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A full life, But the Timing Doh...
She will live on in you...

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home