Tuesday, November 08, 2005


my dear dad taught me a little something recently about walking forward into life as opposed to lurking akwardly back at those deep edges. we sat together in a dark room and i put my fears on the table before him and this is what he did. took my hand- looked at my wrist carefully, then asked me to find my own pulse there. i did. he said to feel my heart beat for a bit. meanwhile the earth rolled away from the sun and the night slid into the room. he grinned and told me i had found my own personal gratitude button, right there on my own wrist.

4 Comments:

Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

There is nothing quite like a Dad is there? Or a Mum for that matter.

4:02 AM  
Blogger doriandra said...

he had me racing around on motorycles by the time i was 13 after a childhood spent watching in awe as he drove for miles across the dry lake doing wheelies and other things no one should try. he was a world class gymnast, friend of buckminister fullers, geodesic dome builder, astronomer, heartbreakingly fantastic musician and yeah- frankly, he rocks...

7:47 AM  
Blogger Russell CJ Duffy said...

i genuinely hope my kids grow up and talk about me with such loving tones. both you and he are lucky. he to have had you as a daughter and you to have him as a Dad. sounds like one helluva bloke.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Nicole Braganza said...

Came here via CJ's blog (RAWP) .
This is quite profound.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home